Five Things: Fences Taken Down Around Boston Common Lawns
And more to know today, April 13.
1. The fences surrounding the large lawns on the Common just south of the State House have been removed in preparation for the grand opening of the area May 2 at noon.
2. The Public Garden lagoon will be refilled for the 135th time and swans - both wooden and real - will make their way back to the pond today. Our Public Garden blogger Laura Jennings has more.
3. Opening Day. Fenway Park will see its first baseball of 2012 today, as the Boston Red Sox open their home schedule against the Tampa Bay Rays at 2:05 p.m. The local nine tote an unimpressive 1-5 mark into the home opener, but will send Josh Beckett (0-1, 13.50 ERA) to the hill against southpaw David Price (1-0, 2.84 ERA), as they try to get back on the good foot.
4. The Seven's annual auction to benefit the James F. Farr Academy will be Sunday at 2 p.m. Bid on Red Sox and Celtics tickets as well as items from Flat of the Hill, Moxie, The Red Wagon, Caswell Frame Shop and Boston Art & Framing.
5. Sunny and warm today, with a high near 61. Mostly clear at night, with temps dropping to around 43.