Five Things: Groundwater on the Hill
And more to know today, Jan. 16.
1. Groundwater issues on the Hill: The Beacon Hill Civic Association and Beacon Hill Village are hosting a talk on Jan. 23 at 6 p.m.regarding groundwater levels around the neighborhood. The Boston Groundwater Trust was established in 1986 by the Boston City Council to monitor groundwater levels in areas of the city where foundations are threatened by low levels, and to make recommendations to solve the problem. The event, at 127 Mt. Vernon St., is free and open to the community. Light refreshments will be served, and RSVP is required. For more information, contact BHCA at 617-227-1922or Beacon Hill Village at 617-723-9713.
2. Shakespeare and the Law: The Modern Theatre at Suffolk University is kicking off 2013 with "Shakespeare and ... the Law," Thursday at 6 p.m. It features prominent judges, lawyers, and public officials in a staged reading of Shakespeare’s Richard II. Following the reading, the performers will engage in a panel discussion on the legal aspects of the play, focusing on constitutional issues of federalism and separation of powers. Tickets are available online at www.moderntheatre.com or by calling 800-440-7654.
3. Christmas tree collection ends: Boston residents need to dispose of their Christmas trees on their recycling day between Jan. 7 and 18 for the Public Works Department to collect and compost them. Remove ornaments, decorations, and stands from Christmas trees. Do not put trees in plastic bags. Place trees at the curb by 7 a.m. on recycling collection day.
4. Free coffee: Get a free taste of Starbucks’ Blonde Roast or Vanilla Blonde coffee when a mobile café visits neighborhoods around Boston this month. The cart will be open from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the following dates: Jan. 15, 17 and 23 at Harvard Square; Jan. 16 and 25 at Government Center; Jan. 18 and 24 at South Station. Along with a coffee sample, visitors can pick up a special offer for a free tall cup of coffee and $1 off packaged coffee.
5. Weather: Ugh. It will be a grim one today. With highs just reaching the upper 30s and precipitation lasting all day, expect snow in the morning and a cold rain until the evening.