Five Things: Happy Valentine's Day
And more to know today, Feb. 14.
1. Kids' Valentine's Day party: Children can enjoy face-painting, cookie-decorating, and arts and crafts today at the Hill House's Valentine's Day party. Stop by from 3 to 6 p.m. at the Firehouse, 127 Mt. Vernon St. See our photos of last year's party.
2. Blood shortage: Children’s Hospital is in critical need of red blood cells and platelets. As a result of the storm, the Blood Donor Center at Children’s Hospital shut down early on Friday and was closed on Sunday, which is usually their busiest day for donors. To donate, visit www.halfpints.childrenshospital.org or call 617 355 6677.
3. Free metered parking: So if you can find a metered space that isn't blocked by snow, you can park there for free today. Mayor Thomas Menino said the move is an effort to help businesses "make up for lost time" due to this past weekend's blizzard.
4. How to report issues to the city: If you're dealing with unplowed sidewalks, unplowed streets, or huge piles of snow, reach out to the city of Boston and let them know. You can report via Twitter (@notifyboston), you can call the Mayor's Hotline at 617-635-4500 or go online to http://www.cityofboston.gov/mayor/24/.
5. More sun: Today should be much like yesterday, bright and sunny, but even a couple of degrees warmer.