Five Things: J. McLaughlin Raises More Than $1,000 to Decorate Beacon Hill
And more to know today, Nov. 14.
1. Sip and Shop: The Beacon Hill Civic Association raised more than $1,000 at J. McLaughlin's "Sip and Shop" sales event Oct. 24, in which the Charles Street store donated 15 percent of all sales made between 6 to 8 p.m. toward holiday garland and bows that will decorate Beacon Hill's lamp posts this holiday season.
2. Boston's West End: Moving Forward, Looking Back: Presented by Wentworth Institute of Technology in partnership with the West End Museum, this exhibit questions how to move an urban area into the future without destroying the roots of the community as it considers a wide range of topics central to Boston’s present-day and old West End. The exhibit is open various hours on weekdays and weekends. See here for more information.
3. Performance at Beehive: Tonight, the classic sounds of legendary musician Thelonious Monk will fill The Beehive Restaurant (541 Tremont St.) with a performance headed by famed pianist Tim Ray. The music selection of the evening will pay homage to Monk, one of the giants of jazz-- his playing was unique, idiosyncratic, percussive, and his compositions angular and innovative.ee here for more details.
4. Garlands and Green: Enjoy a night of Jazz-infused holiday songs and more at the annual Garlands and Greens holiday gathering. The Hampshire house party costs $35 at the door, and the money goes toward holday decorating around Beacon Hill. Doors open at 6 p.m.
5. Weather: The National Weather Service is predicting a sunny day with a high near 46 degrees. The evening will cool down to about 33 degrees.