Five Things: Schools Closed for Evacuation Day
And more to know today, March 18.
1. Evacuation Day: Today Suffolk County will observe Evacuation Day, a holiday commemorating the evacuation of British forces from Boston after the Siege of Boston during the Revolutionary War. Boston Public Schools will not be in session, but City Hall, community centers and libraries will be open regular hours. Trash and recycling collection will not be affected.
2. Street sweeping: Street sweeping will begin this week for the North End, Beacon Hill and the South End. All other parts of the city will begin on April 1. For additional information, visit the city website.
3. BPL strategic plan: The Boston Public Library continues its series of roundtables designed to offer updates and conversation about the library’s strategic plan, the BPL Compass. The next Compass Roundtable will take place on Thursday, March 28, 6 – 7 p.m. in the Dudley Literacy Center of the Boston Public Library, located at 65 Warren St. in Roxbury. The focus will be on the User-Centered Institution principle and will include information on youth outreach, the Dudley Fellowes Program, and the Xenos online language learning game.
4. Civil service deadline: Today is the deadline to apply to take the April 20 civil service exam for police officers and state troopers. The cost is $100 per person. Learn more and download an application at mass.gov/civilservice.
5. Weather: The National Weather Service is predicting a partly cloudy day with a high of 36 degrees.