Walk for the Homeless on the Common this Weekend
And more to know today, Nov. 30.
1. Walking in the Shoes of the Homeless: Hearth and HomeStart, two leading nonprofit organizations in Greater Boston that work to end homelessness and provide permanent and affordable housing, are coming together to raise awareness and funds through the Winter Walk. The Winter Walk is set to take place at 1 p.m. on Sunday at the Boston Common. The event symbolizes the hardship and difficulties the homeless population experience every day as they walk the winter streets looking for shelter.
2. Lights Show at Fenway Park: The Red Sox will transform Fenway Park into a winter wonderland at the Red Sox Holiday Bash, a free, open-to-the-public holiday festival today at 5 p.m. There will be appearances by Red Sox players and legends, access to exclusive areas of the ballpark and the debut of the "Fenway Park Winter Light Show," an LED musical performance on the Green Monster at 5:45, 6:45 and 7:45 p.m. RSVP by visiting redsox.com/holidays and clicking “Yes.”
3. Holiday market: The fourth annual Downtown Boston Holiday Market features new artisan vendors each week, along with appearances from Santa and musical performances on Summer Street. The market is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Mondays through Saturdays and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays.
4. Safer crossings: A pedestrian delineator was installed by the city on Beacon and Walnut streets. It installed after a two-pronged effort by the Beacon Hill Civic Association and resident John Corey. "This should help this crosswalk immensely," Corey said. The idea came from the South End's successful test along Columbus Avenue.
5. Cold: Today will be partly sunny but colder, with a high near 35 degrees and a low around 27, according to the National Weather Service. Snow showers are possible in the evening, mainly after 1 a.m. Little to no snow accumulation is expected.