Good morning, Beacon Hill! Here are five things you need to know today, Friday, Aug. 16:
1. GREENFEST: Boston GreenFest at City Hall Plaza started Thursday, continues Friday and will come to an end Saturday. Here's what you may be missing out on if you haven't visited the festival yet.
2. IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: The new Cool Globes public art exhibit got an official kick-off at Boston Common Thursday. The globes can be found around Beacon Hill around the Common and the State House.
3. GET THE PATCH NEWSLETTER: Have you signed up for the Beacon Hill Patch Daily Newsletter yet? Each morning you can get Beacon Hill Patch news delivered directly to your e-mail inbox. It's totally free, so if you like what you read here, sign up now!
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: While salmon fishing near the Klondike River in Canada's Yukon Territory on this day in 1896, George Carmack reportedly spots nuggets of gold in a creek bed. His lucky discovery sparks the last great gold rush in the American West. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Partly cloudy, with a high of 81 today. Chillier tonight with a low of 56.