October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and whether you love to shop, attend events, walk or run, there are tons of different ways to support the cause. Check out the list below of opportunities to go pink in Boston and beyond:
- Massachusetts Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Boston: Sunday, Oct. 14, 8 a.m. - DCR Hatch Memorial Shell, Boston American Cancer Society walk.
- Race for the Cure: Saturday, Oct. 20, 10 a.m. - Joe Moakley Park, Boston, Susan G. Komen MA Race for the Cure
- The Slater Foundation Presents Halloween for Hope: Friday, Oct. 26, 9 p.m. - The Living Room, Boston. Join the Ellie Fund in celebrating Halloween with a costume party at The Living Room.
- One of the tastiest events to defeating breast cancer is - Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer, which is hosting a Chili Olive Oil Dessert Bake Off on Oct. 9 at 6 p.m.
- Addicted to Zumba? Join other Zumba enthusiasts at the Party in Pink™ Zumbathon® in Brookline, and enjoy a workout while making your donation.
There are even more ways to spread breast cancer awareness this month by supporting national organizations that are fighting for a cure.
Research centers like Susan G. Komen for the Cure are selling pink ribbon merchandise and it’s a twofer — retail therapy and donating to a cause that affects millions.
You can also support breast cancer research by affixing a special stamp to your mail. The U.S. Postal Service has been selling a stamp commemorating breast cancer awareness for the past 15 years. The agency has raised $75 million so far for research programs at the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense.
The American Cancer Society’s annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk is organized nationwide and so far more than 8 million people have walked for this cause and raised about $460 million. (Follow the above link to Massachusetts' walk.)
TELL US: Is there a special event you participate in to support breast cancer research? Share your stories and thoughts with us by adding them to the comments sections of this article. Also, be sure to add photos of you and your friends supporting the cause to the photo gallery above.