The travel ban has been lifted but the snow emergency (and therefore, the parking ban) remains in effect. The T will likely not run until Monday.
The library remains closed today.
Just over 500 NSTAR customers in Boston were without power at around 11:30 a.m. on Saturday. The city appears to be one of the lighter-hit areas in the electric company's coverage area. Communities along the coast and out on the Cape are experiencing much higher rates of power outages, with more than 90 percent of NSTAR customers out in towns such as Scituate, Duxbury, Marshfield and Plymouth.
Closer to Boston, the hardest hit town so far Saturday morning is Dedham, with about 3 percent of NSTAR customers without power.
Experiencing an outage? Report it now!
The current storm, Feb. 7-9:
- The National Weather Service predicts between one and two feet of snow for Boston, with a strong chance of coastal flooding.
- National Weather Service forecast
- Current NWS Storm warnings and advisories: Blizzard Watch
- A snow emergency will go into effect at 12 p.m. on Friday.
- Beacon Hill snow emergency parking restrictions
- The official city of Boston snow information page
- Gov. Patrick has signed an executive order banning vehicle traffic.
Delays, Cancellations and Closings:
- Whole Foods on Charles Street is waiting for news on the travel ban before deciding whether to open today.
- Schools: All Boston Public Schools are CLOSED on Friday. Park Street School and The Advent School will be closed.
- Municipal buildings: City hall open with essential personnel only.
- State offices: Open
- Courthouses: Closed Friday at 3 p.m.
- Other delays reported to WHDH
- MBTA travel advisories: The MBTA will not be running after 3:30 p.m. Friday, including all services (bus, train, commuter rail).
- Vilna Shul on Beacon Hill will be closed Friday.
- The 1:30 performance at Symphony Hall has been cancelled. For refunds contact 888-266-1200
- Some Friday morning flights were still coming in to Logan. But the airport is warning on their website that there will be flight delays and cancellations. Please check with your airline on your flight status before going to the airport, and be sure to allow extra travel time.
- The Boston Common Frog Pond will be closed Friday and Saturday.
Beacon Hill Patch News Coverage
- Boston Snow Emergency Parking Ban Remains in Effect
- State Driving Ban Ends at 4 p.m.
- Remember This? Check Out These Videos from the Blizzard of ‘78
- What Do You Think About Gov. Patrick’s Travel Ban?
- Up to Nine More Inches of Fresh Snow Saturday
- Blizzard Photos: Stick Your Camera Out the Window!
- 800+ Without Power in Boston Friday Night
- Throwing Snow on Beacon Hill? Watch Out for Fines
- Neighbors Turn to Online Forum for Shoveling Help
- Morning Forecast Puts Snow Totals Closer to 3 Feet
- MAP: How Much Snow Has Fallen on Beacon Hill?
- MBTA Winter Weather Info and Resources
- LIVE CHAT: Blizzard of 2013
- City Taking Precautions to Deal with Serious Winter Storm
- How Boston Cleans Up a Snowstorm – And What You Can Do
- Boston Public Schools Closed Friday
- Blizzard Warning Issued for Boston
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe During The Winter Storm
- NSTAR Offers Tips to on How to Prepare for Snowstorm
Scroll down for important phone numbers, websites and more. Stay with South End Patch as we keep you updated throughout the storm.
Important numbers listed by the city:
- Emergencies (Police, Fire, EMS): 911
- Mayor’s Hotline (24-Hrs): 617-635-4500
- ABCD Fuel Assistance: 617-357-6012
- Boston Water & Sewer: 617-989-7000
- Consumer Complaints: 617-635-3834
- DCR Storm Desk: 617-727-1680
- Elderly Commission: 617-635-4366
- Inspectional Services: 617-635-1010
- MBTA: 617-222-3200
- MassDOT: 857-368-6111
- National Grid Gas: 800-322-3223
- NSTAR Electric & Gas: 800-592-2000
- Tow Lot: 617-635-3900
- Verizon: 800-837-4966
- Resident can also receive snow updates using the City's Alert Boston system.
List of city-authorized cab companies:
- Top Cab: 617-266-4800
- Boston Cab: 617-536-3200
- I.T.O.A. Cab: 617-825-4000
- City Cab: 617-536-5100
- Metro Cab: 617-782-5500
- Tunnel Taxi: 617-567-2700
- 617TaxiCab: 617-829-4222
Was your car towed?
Snow removal during and after the storm