1. Grace Period for Overdue Books: The Boston Public Library wrote in their latest newsletter that all branches will be running a three-week drive to encourage the return of overdue materials. "Any overdue book, CD, or DVD returned to a Boston Public Library location from November 1 through Thanksgiving will have the associated fine cleared. This is in effect for library users of all ages whether a book is one day late, one year late, or more. If an item is permanently lost, users will be responsible for paying only the replacement fee.
"This overdue book drive applies only to the actual return of physical materials from November 1 through Thanksgiving. Library users with outstanding fines on already-returned books will be asked to clear their record the usual way: by paying their fines."
2. Hugo: ArtsEmerson is hosting Martin Scorsese’s visual masterpiece, Hugo, from 6 to 8:10 p.m. at the Bright Family Screening Room at The Paramount. General admission is $10.
3. Teen Advisory Council Meeting: Come by the Boston Public Library to help promote the library and teen services today from 3 to 4 p.m.
4. Harvard Jazz Heroes: Come down to the Lowell Lecture Hall at 17 Kirkland St. in Cambridge to see the unsung heroes of the Boston jazz scene. Event runs from 8 to 9:30 p.m. Price of admission is $10.
5. Weather: The National Weather Service is predicting a mostly cloudy day with a high in the mid 50s. The evening will cool off to the lower 40s.