1. The National Weather Service predicts a very windy day with highs in the 60s. Gusts could reach up to 50 mph. In the afternoon, gusts are predicted to pick up, reaching up to 70 mph with a 100 percent chance of rain. The evening will continue to be heavily windy and rainy.
2. Stay home: Boston public schools are closed for everyone but nonessential employees and many workplaces are doing the same today. The governor has declared a state of emergency and is asking people to stay in, or at least off the roads, all day.
3. But if you must: You can use the T. The MBTA has cancelled their ferries services but the subway, bus, commuter rail and RIDE will operate on a normal schedule this morning.
4. Keep informed: Patch will be providing full Hurricane Sandy coverage throughout the day. You can also get valuable information over your smartphones with these handy apps.
5. Beacon Hill Info Center: Help your neighbors by reporting downed branches, power outages and more.