Boston Fashion Week kicks off Thursday night with an opening splash-out gala at The Mandarin Oriental and continues through Oct. 6, jam-packed with events at venues in Back Bay, Beacon Hill, downtown and more.
Thursday's Opening Night Gala in "The Tent" shines a spotlight on local designers and is sponsored in part by Lynn Dale. "Guests will sip themed cocktails and enjoy canapés and food stations ... and enjoy a special appearance from Fern Mallis, widely credited as the creator of New York Fashion Week," according to the Boston Fashion Week website.
The party lasts from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. and costs $250 per ticket. Those wishing to come only for dessert and dancing are welcome at 9 p.m. for $75.
Also on the schedule for the first day of Boston Fashion Week are:
- A free retail/fashion truck showcase on City Hall Plaza from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., featuring The Fashion Truck, Lola's Urban Vintage, ARTichoke, The Brkfst Clb, Sneakerbox, and the Boston Sports Apparel Company.
- The Bond Model Quest 2012 at 7 p.m. at The Langham Hotel, presented by Coup Boston, in which a panel of celebrity judges decides who will be Boston's new face of fashionable nightlife. Space is limited; RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- mike & ton fashion show, presented by Gemvara.com and W Boston, featuring the designer's spring 2013 collection. The show starts at 8 p.m. at W Boston, 100 Stuart St. Reserved VIP seating is by invite only; standing room is open to public.
- A presentation of Drea Designs Couture latest collection at 8 p.m. at Splash, 150 Kneeland St. The show is free and open to the public.
- A special Fashionably Late featuring looks from Elie Tahari's Fall 2012 collection. The event starts at 8 p.m. at the Liberty Hotel, 215 Charles St., with the show at 10 p.m. Call 617-224-4000 for more information.
- Boston natives Randi Spoon and Alexis Lawton will be debuting their Spring 2013 Collection, at Tico, 222 Berkeley St., at 10 p.m. Tico will be open for dinner prior to the show.