Walsh told WBZ that a gay veterans group plans to submit an application for this year's parade, and the mayor is expected to meet with organizers on Thursday, according to the report.
Former Boston Mayor Thomas Menino had previously refused to participate in the parade due to a 1995 decision from the U.S. Supreme Court that allowed organizers to exclude gay and lesbian groups from taking part in the parade, according to the report.
Meanwhile, the Associated Press has reported that New York Mayor Bill de Blasio has also said he's planning to boycott this year's parade in Manhattan because participating aren't allowed to carry signs or banners that identify them as gay.
The parade in South Boston is scheduled for Sunday, March 16. For more information, visit SouthBostonParade.org.