Watching the Super Bowl with friends can leave a lot of us feeling like information haves and have-nots. While some of us have been following the Patriots team, its players, its strategy, and its statistics since the day we were born, others at least know who Tom Brady is and that he's the one who throws the ball.
Whether you're looking to impress the sports nerds in the room with a few of your own facts, or you're simply a true connoisseur of arguably useless knowledge, here's some fun trivia for you about Super Bowl 2012.
Five Fun Facts About the Super Bowl
- This year, a 30-second commercial costs $3.5 million, up $400,000 from last year, according to Superbowl-ads.com.
- Football fans are anticipated to consume an estimated 71.4 million pounds of Hass avocadosduring Big Game gatherings this year, according to the Hass Avocado Board.
- If you still think the 1983 season finale of M*A*S*H was the most-watched broadcast in the U.S., think again. The 2010 Super Bowl between the New Orleans Saints and Indianapolis Colts stole that title, only to be beaten exactly one year later when 111 million people tuned in to watch the 2011 Super Bowl between the Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers, according toNielsen Co. Will this year's game top the 2011 record?
- Heading into the game, The New York Giants have three Super Bowl titles (XXI in 1986, XXVin 1990, and XLII in 2007). They also have four titles in the pre-Super Bowl era: 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956).
- On the other hand, The New England Patriots have also won three Super Bowl championships (XXXVI in 2001, XXXVIII in 2003, and XXXIX in 2004).
So who will come out with a fourth title? Finally, here's some actual useful knowledge to have heading into Sunday.
Where: Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Ind.
Kickoff Time: Sunday, Feb. 5 at 6:30 p.m. ET
[Editor's Note: GO PATS!!]